Rural Housing Network Limited (RHNL) is strongly committed to the responsible handling of personal information and the principles of confidentiality and privacy ensuring the protection of an individual’s right to privacy. RHNL will adhere to all relevant legislative requirements associated with privacy and confidentiality. The policy applies to personal information, defined as ‘information or opinion about an individual whose identity is apparent or can be reasonably ascertained from the information or opinion’ and relates to all knowledge of personal information held by RHNL.
Policy Detail - Collection
- RHNL will only collect personal information that is necessary for specific and legitimate functions of the organisation.
- Information will be collected by fair and lawful means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way.
- Under reasonable circumstances, RHNL will only collect information about an individual from that individual.
- If RHNL collects personal information from someone else, the organisation will take reasonable steps to ensure the individual is made aware of their rights in relation to the information collected.
When collecting information, RHNL will inform individuals of:
- The type of information collected and the purpose for which it is used.
- How information is collected and to whom RHNL will share the information, including an explanation of informed consent
- How to gain access to the personal information that RHNL holds
- Any law that requires the information to be collected and/or shared
- The consequences for the individual (if any) if all or part of the information is not provided
- How a person might complain about a breach of their privacy
Use and Disclosure
- RHNL will not use or disclose personal information about an individual for a purpose other than the primary purpose except for circumstances specified in the Acts.
- RHNL will ensure that the personal information collected, used, or disclosed is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
- RHNL will take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information it holds from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- On request, RHNL will take reasonable steps to let the person know generally what sort of personal information it holds, for what purposes, and how it collects, holds, uses and discloses the information
- We will also let the person know how to access their information and that they can request to make a correction if they believe the information we have is incorrect.
Access and Correction
- RHNL will provide access to personal information held by the organisation to that individual upon request, except in specific circumstances outlined within the Acts.
- Where RHNL holds personal information about an individual and the individual is able to establish that the information is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, RHNL will take reasonable steps to correct the information within 45 days of request. Where RHNL and an individual disagree about the accuracy of the information, RHNL will take reasonable steps to record a statement relating to the disputed information if requested by the individual.
- RHNL will not assign, adopt, disclose, or require unique identifiers from individuals unless required to carry out functions of the organisation successfully or as required under the Acts.
- Wherever lawful and practicable, RHNL will respect individuals right to not identify themselves in their transactions with the organisation
Trans-border Data Flows
- RHNL will only transfer information about an individual outside Victoria where a request for information conforms with the Acts
- RHNL will not collect sensitive information about an individual except for circumstances detailed under the Acts.
- RHNL will ensure all staff receive training and information on privacy and confidentiality at the commencement of their employment.
- Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012 (Commonwealth)
- Health Records Act 2001 (Victoria)
- Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006 (Victoria)
- Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth)